Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Taylor Swift

If you have a sixteen years old daughter and she asks you to listen to the songs of her favorite teenage artist. What would you do? Say yes? My word, it is hard to buy!

Sunday night, April 12
While holding a CD, my sixteen years old daughter, Lisa asked if I had a plan to go out the following day. At first, I had no idea why she threw that question. I told her that on Monday evening, I would attend the meeting at JTC (Jakarta Toastmasters Club) as usual. She then handed the CD over to me and asked if I would like to listen to Taylor Swift's songs on my car audio. Now I knew what she was up to. She knows that I only listen to the music when I am driving. So hopefully, I would listen to the CD on my way to JTC. It was Taylor Swift's first album, Fearless. I almost said no to her instantly and was grateful that I didn't do it. I thought I wouldn't like the songs written by this young and talented artist like Taylor Swift though she is now one of Lisa's favorite singers. However, I said to myself,
hold on, don't let her down. At least listen to the music before telling her your opinion.

Monday evening, April 13
When I left home heading for JTC, I forgot to bring the CD. So I missed the chance to find something out why Lisa loves Taylor Swift so much. Before I entered the meeting room at JTC, I received a call from the school car driver who always brings Lisa to school every day. He said that his car was still in the garage so he couldn't pick Lisa up the following morning. Blessing in disguise! It suddenly came to my mind that what a perfect moment for me to drive Lisa to her school while listening to Taylor Swift's CD.

Tuesday, April 14
When I woke up in the morning, I put the CD on top of my handbag right away. It was to make sure that I didn't miss it again. Lisa was surprised when she knew that I would bring her to school. I played the CD as soon as we were inside the car. I thought if I didn't like the songs, I could explain to her directly.

To my surprise, I fell in love with Taylor Swift even though I've just listened to her first song. The lyrics were sweet and simple. Especially the song called 'The Best Day'. It was about the best days Taylor spent with her father. I love the song very much as it brings back all the memories I ever had with my late father more than 30 years ago.

I have an excellent father
his strength is making me stronger...


Now I know why all the trees change in the Fall
I know you were on my side even when I was wrong
and I love you for giving me your eyes
staying back watching me shine and I didn't know if you knew
so I'm taking this chance to say that I had the best day with you today

- Taylor Swift -
I love you, Lisa
I love you so much
and I'm glad that you care for me

Thank you for letting me listen to those beautiful songs
especially 'The Best Day'
It means a lot to me

Love,
Mom

PS: Please let me know if you need the CD back.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vina,
    A very nice story, it reminds me of the experiences that I have with my mom & dad,
    also with my young son.
    Thanks & regards.

    ReplyDelete