Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Interview (part 1)

Our passions - those pursuits that we love to do, the things that provide us with the greatest sense of fulfillment - also go a long way in determining our personal values.

On Tuesday, March 31, I received a short message from a Senior Editor of a prominent woman magazine from Femina Group. She asked if I had time to talk to her about my singing course. At first, I was a bit confused. I had just been interviewed by her last December. The topic was about relationship between mother and teenagers. Now, again for a different topic? Anyway, I'm a people oriented person and like to see and talk to people. So how I could say no to her and miss this golden opportunity?

We then met the following day.

"Vina, I remember last time we met you talked about your singing course and today I would like to dig into it. Why do you learn how to sing and what is it for you?" she asked.

"From the dictionary, to learn means to gain knowledge or skill by studying. It could be from experience or being taught. But I would like to add something here. For me, to learn is not only to GAIN knowledge or skill, but also to MAINTAIN or IMPROVE it. For people who already knows me for years, probably they are curious why I still need a singing teacher. Actually, I prefer to call it a singing coach. I've been singing since I was a little kid till I finished high school and mostly I did my performance at school. I believe singing is a gift from God because not everybody can sing. When I was in junior high school many many years ago, I insisted my mom to hire a singing teacher for me but we couldn't find one. Today, I'm happy to have what I couldn't have in the past. Besides, as both of my children has become less and less dependent, I have more time and more energy for my self. I can create chances for self-development. And yet, the most important thing is I have the opportunity to do things I'm passionate about. For example: reading, singing and speaking. That's why I'm always happy to spend my time at home reading as many books as I wish; Meet my singing coach once a week and come to Toastmasters meetings to improve my speaking skill."

"It sounds interesting."

"Yes. It feels great if you are passion for what you do. Singing is a skill that we need to maintain. And to do so, a coach plays a very important role. Every time if I don't have the right voice placement while vocalizing or singing, he always gives me a code. He told me that he is paid for his ears, a sharp ones of course." I then showed my interviewer what vocalizing is."

"So tell me how did you find your coach."

"Firstly, It was my husband. He can't sing no matter how hard he tries. So, he always wanted me to sing at any wedding reception we attended and I was reluctant to do so. One day he said to me that he can't understand why I don't like to show my ability in public. So, at my brother-in-law's wedding reception in February 2006, I did sing two mandarin songs just to please him. You know, I received a compliment from one of his relatives afterward. She said, that if I become a singer, she would like to be my manager. My husband was so proud of me. But I had a different view. I did the singing and he got the credit."

"Secondly, when we were cruising off Pulau Seribu during JTC (Jakarta Toastmasters Club) outing gathering in July 29, 2007, we had a karaoke session. One of my friends said to me that when I sing I do it with my soul. I was flattered and amused. But deep in my heart, I knew that my singing ability was still not as good as many people thought."

"At last, when I attended a commemoration service at my sister's house in August 2007, there was a singer who sang beautifully. At diner, I paid him a compliment and asked if he had a singing teacher. Guess what his answer was: YES! I was so delighted when I found out that the address was not far from home. Later that night, I told my husband that I would like to have a coach to improve my singing skill. I said that would like to start in January 2008. His comment was why did I have to wait if I could do it as soon as possible."

"I see."

"Yeah, that's how I found my coach more than eighteen months ago. I didn't wait for the ship to come in, I swim out to it."

to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting!
    I can't wait to read the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete