Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Interview (part 2)

"Now please let me know what you've got after learning vocal for more than eighteen months."

"Walter Gagehot said that a great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. For me, a great pleasure in life is doing what people don't expect you can do."

"You quoted Walter Gagehot. I like it."

"I was appointed as Master of Ceremony at a Toastmasters leadership training two months ago. It was exactly on February 14, the Valentine Day. So, when I was given the control to open the session, I did what people didn't expect me to do. You're all I need, my love, my Valentine. I sang for my audience. It was only a tiny part of a song before I continued with my greetings: Good afternoon everybody! HAPPY VALENTINE TO ALL OF YOU. Don't you think that my fellow toastmasters deserved a little difference for that special day? If I don't routinely spend time with my coach, probably I didn't have the guts to sing in front of one hundred people at that time. So, point number one: singing has increased my self confidence even more."

"Now, let's move to point number two. As coach and public speaker, sometimes I have to speak for hours. Here, voice plays a very important role. To maintain its quality, we need to know how to breathe correctly using the diaphragm. The way we inhale and exhale or breathe in and breathe out determines how much oxygen we can bring into our internal organs. Hopefully, the more we bring oxygen inside our body, the more we will look younger than our age. Practicing yoga also helps improve our breathing. So, in my opinion, singing plus yoga is useful to maintain the quality of your voice."

"It makes sense."

"As a matter of fact. I'm enjoying the grateful shade of my coach, Charles Nasution. I feel so lucky to know him. And, what I really like about him is he adores, admires and respects his teacher, Mrs Catharina W. Leimena so much. Madam Catharin is a prominent singing coach in this country. Charles told me that though he has been seeing his teacher for eighteen years, he always has a new thing to learn every time he comes to her. Can you imagine, after all this time, he is still passionate for what he is doing. This is a very good example, isn't it?"

"Now, let's go back to the benefit of my singing lesson. It's point number three, I guess. Knowing more helps you improve your judging ability and develop your critical thinking. American Idol is one of the best programs to give my knowledge a test."

"Don't you have any specific intention when you decided to enroll in this private singing course?"

"You mean, becoming a professional singer? No, I didn't. Singing is my soul. It's a spontaneous and natural act for me. I like singing and love to sing. When I was young, of course I ever dreamed to become a singer. But now, it's a different world. I'm happy with who I'm now: a mother of two teenagers, a lovely wife to my husband, a coach and a public speaker. For me, singing has painted my life with new light and bright colors."

"When vocalizing, I have a certain pitch to reach. It really needs a constant practice to arrive at the lowest and highest note I suppose to hit. Charles told me that it takes time and process to be at the level I'm capable of. I realize that I can always raise the bar though I have to do it with each millimeter. This kind of feeling is relevant to any aspect of my life. I know I can always achieve the target I set as long as I do it seriously and with high determination. Now I have set a new target. Two years from now, I would like to sing in front of one thousand people."

"I believe it will happen to you, Vina."

"Thank you so much! I still remember what my coach, Michel Gagne ever told me. He said that to be successful in what you are doing, you have to make yourself visible. I believe it's true. When you enjoy what you are doing, people will notice it. So, automatically you can be visible. But, behind the scene you need to do your homework. I think the quotation I picked and chose from Elmer Letterman, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" suits the whole things to a T.

The end.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice post, Vina.
    I agree with Imung, you really are a very detailed writer. I can learn from you.
    I look forward to reading your up dates.

    PS: Please link with Imung's & Astuty's blogs.

    ReplyDelete